WordPress Themes – Free vs Commercial
WordPress users may install and switch between themes as simply as a click of a button. Themes allow users to change the look and functionality of a WordPress website or installation without altering the information content or structure of the site.
Free & Commercial WordPress Themes
There are thousands of design themes to choose from, as well as the options of having a bespoke WordPress Theme designed for your business. If you are new to WordPress the best place to start would be the official WordPress site, here you will find both free and commercial themes to review.
Customising WordPress Themes
With the Free Themes such as the Twentyeleven you can customise the theme to your colours, add your logo, add ‘widgets’ to show for example adverts in the sidebar, add social media icons, images. The Twentyeleven has been downloaded over 300,000 times, you would most likely find many sites using this theme however unrecognisable, after customisation by each of the site owners.
WordPress Child Theme
A WordPress child theme is a WordPress theme that inherits its functionality from another WordPress theme, the parent theme. Child themes are often used when you want to customise or tweak an existing WordPress theme without losing the ability to upgrade that theme.
1- Parent Theme
2- Child Theme
1- Parent ThemeThe Twenty Thirteen Theme features a full range of post formats, each displayed in their own unique way. Design details abound, starting with a vibrant color scheme and matching header images, beautiful typography and icons, and a flexible layout that looks great on any device, big or small.
2- Child ThemeThe I-Transform theme for WordPress is developed using "Twenty Thirteen theme" giving you all the features of Twenty Thirteen plus several additional features like easy to use admin theme options, featured post section, 5 color schemes, multiple blog layouts, WooCommerce ready etc. Whether you are a first time user looking for a clean, simple and easy to use theme for blogging or looking for a powerful theme to build business sites; i-transform is the perfect theme for you.
Finding The Right Theme
A simple way to find the right theme for your business when using the WordPress official site, is to use the Themes Tag Filter to search for themes, you can search by specific theme requirements – :
- Colours – You can select your theme by colours, as there are over 2,000 wordpress themes to search through on the WordPress official site selecting by colour will reduce time, and you can consider other features
- Columns – You may have an idea of how you would like the layout, for example 2 column design, with sidebars
- Layout – A responsive layout is a Web design approach aimed at designing sites to provide an optimal viewing experience —easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices, from mobile phones to desktop computer monitors
- Features – For example you may want to search for a theme which is accessibility ready, or translation ready
- Subject – for example your site maybe related to holidays, or photography